Monday, December 3, 2007

Paros Proxy - Web Debugging/Testing at it's finest.


I just got this one up and running under Ubuntu Gutsy. This is a very nice Web Development Tool as well as a nice debugging tool for seeing exactly what is going on in an HTTP connection. I think it's really intended as a security auditing tool, but I think people in Web Development are missing the boat if they don't take a look at this tool to test development modifications to existing live sites.

The big thing I like about it is the ability to modify HTML on the fly as it goes from the Web Server to the browser. This is a must have for anyone that needs to get down the the nitty gritty level of debugging sites at the HTTP protocol level as well as picking through generated HTML and Javascript code.

I write different Javascript for Websites. With this tool I can intercept the code in any site, then modify the code before my browser sees it. By doing this I can easily test pieces of Javascript in a live site to see if they work before giving them to the customer.

This is written in Java so you should be able to run it on pretty much anything. Since I run it on Ubuntu I've included a couple of notes about running it there.

This one will require sun Java 6. as the gcj Java that comes with Ubuntu won't work with Paros (at least with the 3.2.13 release I worked with).

If you are on Gutsy you can use apt-get or synaptic package manager to install java-6-sun.

Then in the startserver.sh script uncomment the line that sets
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

And change the line to run /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java instead of just java (which will run /usr/bin/java which by default will be gcj)

If you don't make these changes you'll get a java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException for SunX509. I've sent the small change needed in the Javascript to eliminate this particular error so we'll hope to see it as a fix in a future release, in the meantime though, It seems to work very well on Ubuntu with the Sun Java 6. It's a must have for anyone in Web Development. There is an equivalent product called "Fiddler" for Windoze, but it only runs in Windoze, so there you have it. Bop on over to the Paros Website grab a copy give and give it a go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top performing IT automation tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central remote environment manager
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

It was a valuable workout for me to discover your webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you discover helpful information and make an effort to interpret it accurately. I am going to glance up this web site oftentimes on my PC. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Admirable writing. Undoubtedly you are an expert of such writing topics. This is absolutely the first time I went through your post and to tell the truth it has made me visit here now and then.And yes i have book mark your site geektravelling.blogspot.com .