Sunday, December 2, 2007

ATI, Ubuntu Gutsy , Compiz, BigDesktop - Beautiful :)

Even in 2D mode without Compiz, Ubuntu Linux with Big Desktop is the shiznit. Turn on Compiz and it's a desktop experience that makes is a pleasure to sit at the computer.

So far I've gotten the following goodness working on Ubuntu:
World of Warcraft
Team Fortress 2 (w/ voice coms)
Eve Online (Although I'm still trying to figure out how to get the sound to share)

The key things to watch out for when configuring games is that wine and some of the older Linux audio applications will us oss and/or talk to the sound card directly and not be nice and share.

I couple of options exist to share the sound hardware.

aoss, esd and arts. For me arts has worked the best, I haven't tried esd and I got static with aoss.

To start arts, first start the server by doing the following:

$ artsd -d &

The -d tells it to go full duplex so you can use voice comm applications.

Then do:

$ artsdsp TeamSpeak

or

$ artsdsp wine WoW.exe

Other than that, but "ubuntu" before your searches and there are lots of awesome folks in the Ubuntu community that have been there and documented what they have done to get it to all work.

I have been having a few issues with the ATI card and BigDesktop w/ 3D Acceleration, but on the whole I've been very happy with my new install. You can get the nitty gritty of it on the Ubuntu forums at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3882866#post3882866

Enjoy and have a nice big cup of Ubuntu!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i wanna buy an iphone. i don't have At&t and don't plan on getting it. can i buy an iphone without getting a contract with at&t?



________________
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]