Sunday, February 18, 2007

Shout out to Ubuntu

I had to send the good word out to the groovy people at Ubuntu - Linux for Humans.

I've seen quite a few Linux flavors over the years, but this was easiest installing yet.

It did a better job of automagically recognizing things like my sound and wireless cards than Windoze did.

I got my first cup of Ubuntu when I lost a hard drive on my laptop. I was still able to work on my machine while I waited for my new hard disk by booting Ubuntu off of a CD and writing files to my USB drive.

When I got my new hard drive, I made my machine dual boot and put both Ubuntu and Windoze (Some software I have to use for work, but not much, still only runs under Windoze. I know it's totally barbaric, but hey it's a living).

Overall the whole package has a nice finished feel to it. It has lots of great things already pre-installed, like Open Office, The GIMP, and there's even a Windoze Remote Desktop Client!

I dual boot installed my 14 year old daughters machine too with the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and She's loving it. She's in to video and music editing and the package management software makes installing new software a no brainer.

To make a long story short, if you've been thinking about tyring out a new Linux distro, Ubuntu is easy to install, easy to use, and the price is right. It basically the Shiznit!

No comments: