Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mozilla 3.6 and VMWare

I went there, and I went back. Some kinda issues on that baby. Chrome doesn't work at all (yet) with VMWare, but oooohhh what a Sexy browser, I just love Chrome, and now that it's on Linux, it makes it all better.

Anyway, after going down the long dark upgrade hole of Mozilla 3.6 pre2, Well actually the Upgrade was easy, it was what happened afterwards that was a long dark hole.

Firstly, my My VMWare did not work. Wouldn't even let me log into the console. This problem is easy enough to fix. Turns out that in 3.6 (And 3.7) SSL2 is disabled by default. I'm not sure what the story is, but I assume it has something to do with SSL2 being easily cracked. Anyway, the solution to getting it to actually log in, is to enable SSL2.

To enable SSL2, in the address bar at the top of your browser type in:

Scroll down to


Then click on whre it says false and click "Toggle", it should then say True.

Stop and start the browser (Actually I don't know if that's 100% necessary), and you'll get a login screen.

The next problem I ran into was that I couldn't get the console started, but It may not have been all 3.6's fault. Part of the problem was that because I couldn't get VMWare running, I decided to try to get to my VMWare server w/out Mozilla. Wrongo!!, I try to install the VMWare player and the installation process removed VMWare server, Doh!

After re-installing the VMWare Server and Downgrading my Mozilla to 3.5.9, I was ready to go, or so I thought. My VMWare instance would boot to 95%, then just stop. A poke around the log files found some errors about bad links in /var/run. To solve this, I did the following:

1. Stop the VMWare services by doing:

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware stop

2. Check to make sure no vmware process are running

ps -ax | grep vmware

There may be stuck vmware process' running, you have to kill by hand with kill or kill -9, make sure to kill the vmware-watchdog process first, or it will keep starting up process' you are trying to kill.

3. After everything is stopped, go to the /var/run directory(ies) from your /var/log/vmware log entries and remove any .lck file in the .lck directories.

4. Run and select the defaults all the way through.

You installation _SHOULD_ work now, if it doesn't, hey it worked for me :p

No comments: