Sunday, June 2, 2013

Minecraft Exploding Sheep Java Bukkit Server Mod

Among other various and sundry things I've been working on, Java has been one.  If you haven't learned, it you should probably pick it up at some point.  Along with Python, C, Perl, C++, C#, PHP and other flavors of the day.

I picked this particular language as it's been very popular, has lots of community support and lots of plugins, and tools available to help you write code.  I use some of the Eclipse Java Development tools and it almost feels like my program gets written for me.  That's a post for another day.

This is just a short shameless promotion for my Minecraft Bukkit Server mod, Exploding Sheep.  Currently, it just makes sheep explode when you shear them.  I'll be adding explosion adjustment configuration and and sheep wool color configuration.  I've also had Feature request include exploding pigs, when shot with arrows.

The main point was to start an open source project in Java and using the Bukkit API seemed like a fun way to do a real Java project.  It's a dipping my toe in the water of open source so to speak.  Source is available on github, it's pretty simple so far, an event handler and some initialization.  I'll be accepting patches and updates and exploring some of the more esoteric features of github.

Be the envy of all the other servers, install the Exploding Sheep Mod today!

No comments: